World’s Largest Museum
Why in the news?
- While inaugurating the International Exhibition-cum-Convention Centre complex in Delhi, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said: “Soon, the biggest museum of the world, Yuge Yugeen Bharat, will be constructed in Delhi.”
About the national Museum
- This National Museum will be the largest museum in the world, narrating a holistic story of 5,000 years of India.
- It will be built in New Delhi in collaboration with India and France.
- Divided into eight thematic zones, the museum will showcase historical events, personalities, ideas and achievements related to India’s past that have contributed to the making of India’s present.
- The project is planned to be completed by 2026, but no concrete deadline has been set yet.
- The new National Museum is planned to be built in the North and South Block buildings on Raisina Hill.
- The British Museum in London and the Grand Louvre in Paris are among the largest museums in the world, covering approximately 70,000 square meters each.
- A virtual walkthrough of the museum has already been released.
- The design, theme, and content will be finalized by the Ministry of Culture as part of the Central Vista project.
- The museum will have 950 rooms spread over three floors and a basement, showcasing India's ancient town planning systems, Vedas, Upanishads, ancient medical knowledge, and several empires, including Maurya, Gupta, Vijayanagara, and Mughal.
- France will share its expertise with India in major cultural projects. Similar to the Louvre Palace, this project will involve retrofitting a heritage building to accommodate the display, storage, and exhibition of various artifacts.