Ques- The Mughal Empire is important for so many reasons. Discuss.
Answer: Mughal Empire was the most important Empire of the medieval period due to the following reasons.
- The Mughals created an empire; which had hitherto seemed possible only for short periods of time due to the diversity of people, vastness of geography, centrifugal tendencies based on solidifying regional identities.
- Compared to their contemporaries i.e. The Ottomans, the Safavids, the Uzbeks, the Mughal Empire was more impressive in every conceivable way.
- They created administrative structures and promulgated ideas of governance that outlasted their rule, leaving a political legacy.
- They created a conducive environment for the expansion of both internal and external trade, commerce, and intercourse. The earlier belief that coming from the steppes of Central Asia, they did not pay much attention to trade and commerce has been debunked completely.
- Mughal Legacy in art, architecture, cuisine, music, painting, sartorial sense, and a composite culture is unmatchable.
- The legitimacy of Mughal Padshah remained infallible for much longer than a simple military power should be expected to bear.
- Today the Prime Minister of India addresses the nation on Independence Day from the ramparts of the Red Fort in Delhi.
Therefore, due to the above-cited and many other reasons, the Mughal Empire as imagined and constructed by Akbar was the most impressive of the medieval period.